The Center for Academic Excellence advising staff are here to support you through transitions, challenges, explorations, successes, and, ultimately, your Wisconsin Experience! Our advisors share a student-centered, collaborative philosophy rooted in social justice and educational equity. We aim to facilitate the achievement of UW-Madison’s Essential Learning Outcomes for our undergraduates. We can walk you through your Degree Audit Report (DARS) to review progress toward major and degree completion and help you learn course enrollment tools, but we’re also here to provide guidance about how to navigate the daily ins and outs of campus life (i.e., housing, food, transportation), engage with faculty, and get involved in student organizations or research as early as your first year.
Your CAE advisor is a strong advocate for you in translating University and school/college policies and serving as your first line of support in difficult times. We are equipped to co-create academic plans, connect you to campus resources (including major advisors), and empower you in setting and working toward your pre-professional goals. We are here to help you explore majors and big questions, to facilitate your leadership development and skills-building, and to foster a welcoming and inclusive community.
CAE advisors are here to help you navigate transitions and challenges, support you in important decisions, and listen. We learn from our students and their stories, guide them in creating their Wisconsin Experience, and foster a sense of inclusive belonging in our CAE community. Our students are empowered and engaged scholars.
Here are some of the ways that CAE advisors can help you:
- Understand degree requirements and registration tools and processes
- Connect you with key learning support centers on campus, such as the Chemistry and Physics Learning Centers, GUTS, McBurney Center, and more
- Find scholarship, internship, and study abroad opportunities
- Clarify academic policies and requirements
- Support and guide you during academic and personal challenges
- Help you connect your liberal arts education to your post-graduation career plans
- Celebrate your successes and partner in your achievements